Home » Android, Featured, Website Design » Text to Speech for the Google OS, Android (Updated)

Text to Speech for the Google OS, Android (Updated)

Text to Speech in Android

Version of android executed in: 1.6rc2 in Windows

TOOLS we used:

Eclipse and Android library 1.6rc2

How it works:

1. In android 1.6rc2 the text to speech library is built in called android.speech.tts, here is link for the information http://developer.android.com/reference/android/speech/tts/TextToSpeech.html

2. Here is the code

String myText2 = “I hope so, because it’s time to wake up.”;
mTts.setLanguage(Locale.US);
mTts.speak(myText1, TextToSpeech.QUEUE_FLUSH, null);
mTts.speak(myText2, TextToSpeech.QUEUE_ADD, null);
}

}

3. To make it even easier you can use you can download the code and open as an existing project. Click here to download.

References:

1. http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2009/09/introduction-to-text-to-speech-in.html

Popularity: 11% [?]

Related Posts

15 Comments

1. Elcorin says:

Can i take a one small pic from your blog?
    Elcorin

2. The article on antibiotics are very good.

3. pw says:

Hi! I followed your tutorial but i don’t hear any voice reading.

4. Michael Washington says:

Send me an email and tell me everything that you did and I will help you out.

5. pw says:

Does android sdk 1.5 support speech? Cos it seem to b prob wif my comp. It also doesn’t wrk when i use sdk 1.1.

6. Michael Washington says:

The android SDK 1.5 and SDK 1.1 do not support speech by themselves. You have to use an external library for text to speech like the one I have listed.

7. aLÄ° says:

hi, i did everything you told above, but i am not able to hear something, i use android sdk 1.6 rc1, can it be a problem?
    Thx Michael..

8. Send an email to me at michael.p.washington@compscistuff.com and I can help you out. This tutorial is for 1.5, what I will try to do is update this one for android 1.6 and 2.0.

9. Petar K says:

If you could update your code to work for 1.6 or 2.0 that would be great as I am also having trouble implementing TTS for 1.6

Thanks

10. I have put a updated text to speech article up here and I have tested out the code. It converts the Text into Speech alright. Let me know how it works out for y’all.

11. Petar K says:

I had to download the TTS library on the G1 but once I did the code worked which is awesome.

Thanks

12. wisconsin union theater website says:

Another a very great read by you hope to read more very soon.

13. Maybe you could change the post subject Text to Speech for Google’s OS, Android | Computer Science Stuff to more specific for your subject you make. I liked the post still.

14. Makaila says:

50dD35 AKAIK you’ve got the answer in one!

15. nomie madrid says:

hi i just want to know what’s the source code of browsing inbox message using syllable algorithm in android..thanks in advance